Of late, meat has been demonized and most people are trying to turn vegan. But meat has been consumed in our world since time immemorial, and, so, there must be various meat diet benefits. So, if you do not mind consuming meat, then you should know about the various meat diet benefits.
Meat is the flesh of animals that humans consume for their food. Meat is eaten in the form of chops, ribs, roast or in ground form. It is obtained from liver, kidneys, brains, intestines and other muscles of animals. Mostly, meat is obtained for consumption from animals raised on huge industrial farms.
Different Types of Meat
The different types of meat are red, white and processed meat.
- Red Meat is obtained from mammals and has more iron and protein. It is obtained from lamb, pork, veal, beef, goat and bison, elk and venison.
- White meat is obtained from birds such as goose, duck, turkey and chicken.
- Processed meat is meat that has been modified by curing, salting, smoking or drying to enhance its flavor. This includes sausages, hot dogs, jerky, bacon, salami, pastrami and more.
- Protein: Lean meat is a good source of protein as it contains around 25 to 30% protein by weight. 100 gm of cooked chicken breast contains 31 gm of protein, while lean beef contains 27 gm. Animal protein is considered as a complete protein type as it contains all the 9 essential amino acids.
- Meat from animals is also rich in vitamin A, vitamin B12, iron, and selenium. Vegans are often known to have such deficiencies, while a meat eater may not have such deficiencies.
- Meat also provides abundant choline which is an important nutrient for the brain, liver health and muscle.
- Meat also provides essential nutrients like vitamin B12, niacin and selenium.
- Meat diet helps to provide muscle strength and also helps to maintain your muscles and stamina.
- They give you bone strength and boost your brain function.
- It also helps to keep your blood sugar in control.
- These have high protein which help to boost your metabolic functions and also give you a feeling of fullness for longer. You do not feel hungry for longer on a meat diet.
- Meat diet gives you zinc immunity. Zinc helps in immune building and proper wound healing. Zinc is essential for the healthy working of your cells and tissues.
Meat Diet and Cancer
Many people believe that eating a meat diet may lead to cancer. You may have to prepare your meats in a particular way to prevent it affecting your health negatively. When you grill, smoke or barbeque meat at high temperatures, fat is released that may drip on hot cooking surfaces. This produces carcinogens such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, and more. These rise and enter your meats and make them harmful.
These are some of the various meat diet benefits. You can have lean meat in checked proportions. It is best to have it steamed or baked.