Coming up with a delicious menu for weekends or party nights can be a stressful and overwhelming process. Deciding the main course, planning side dishes, and managing drinks simultaneously can be pretty strenuous. Therefore, we have brought to you this amazing goat meat recipe which makes for a wholesome and tantalizing meal that can leave your guests asking for more.
Goat And Butternut Squash Stew
Prep Time: 15min
Cooking Time: 1hr 50mins
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ancho chile powder
- 3-pound bone-in goat shank
- 1 chopped onion
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 pound of butternut squash (peeled and cut into half-inch cubes)
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cinnamon
- 1 pinch saffron
- 14 ounces (1 can) diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cup of water
Method Of Preparation
- Mix coriander, cumin, ginger, sweet paprika, smoked hot paprika, smoked sweet paprika, and red ancho chile powder in a bowl.
- Season goat shank with ¼ tsp of grounded pepper and ¼ tsp of salt.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over the medium-high setting until it melts and shimmers. Add goat shank to hot oil and cook until thoroughly brown for 2-3 minutes on each side. Transfer to the bowl while reserving excess oil in a skillet.
- Reduce heat from medium-high to low. Add onion to retained oil, stir for 7-10 mins until soft. Next, add garlic along with butternut squash, stir for a minute. Mix the mixture of spices from the bowl with the squash and continue stirring for a minute or two.
- Add water, tomatoes, cinnamon, and saffron to the squash mixture; transfer goat shank to oven and let the liquid simmer, cook for 90 minutes to 2 hrs until goat meat turns tender and starts to fall off the bone.
- Transfer shank to the cutting board. Separate meat from bone and chop into bite-sized pieces. Discard bones and add meat to squash mixture. Stir them together. Add salt and pepper according to the taste and cook for 5 mins or until meat is thoroughly reheated. Serve hot with rice.
- If you are not a fan of the sauté process, you can also prepare this recipe in a slow cooker or electric pressure cooker. For this, you will have to replace goat shank with boneless cubed goat meat. Start by cooking onions, tomatoes, meat, and spices together for 15 mins in cooker. Next, add remaining ingredients to the cooker and cook for 8-10 mins. Serve hot with the rice.
- You can stretch this recipe by adding 2 cubed medium sized potatoes and frozen peas for a second round of cooking in both the methods.
Goat meat is identified as red meat. But the United States Department Of Agriculture (USDA) states that goat meat contains a lower amount of fats and cholesterol and the same amount of proteins when compared to beef, pork, and chicken. This makes goat meat healthier than other red meats.