Vegan meat is nothing but vegan food items used in place of meat in recipes. These food items replicate the taste of meat. Vegan meat is also known as mock meat, meat imitation, meat alternative. The texture, flavor and appearance is similar to meat. Vegan meat is made from ingredients like soy, textured vegetable protein, wheat gluten and some others. Here we have a few recipes that are made by only substituting the meat with vegan meat to give you the same taste and feel.
This steak is as tender and juicy faux steak made with plant-derived meat. Here is a great recipe that you can make and indulge guilt-free.
- ¾ cup canned chickpeas
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- ¼ tsp Liquid Smoke
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1 and ¾ cups wheat gluten
- ¼ cup soy sauce for the marinade
- 1tsp paprika for the marinade
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/8 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add the chickpeas, garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast, coriander powder, oregano, soy sauce, tomato paste, paprika, black pepper, cumin, liquid smoke, Dijon mustard and vegetable stock to the food processor and blend well.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add wheat gluten. Add and mix like a dough. Knead the dough until you get a sticky and stretchy kind. Do not over-knead the dough.
- Flatten it next and using a potato masher bash the steaks to flatten them. If you over flatten them, the dough might get very hard. Do it just to get the right texture.
- Wrap the steaks in a tinfoil and then steam them for 20 minutes. If you wrap them too tightly, they will expand while steaming. Steaks can be steamed in a steamer basket as well.
- While the steaks are steaming, prepare a marinade sauce by adding all the ingredients and mixing them together. Whisk them again and add brown sugar and dissolve completely.
- After 20 minutes, unwrap the steaks and place them in a square foil. Pour over the sauce prepared and using a brush, cover the steaks properly.
- Heat the pan with olive oil and then fry the steaks. Flip them regularly and add more marinade sauce to them on every side until they are properly caramelized.
Serve your delicious vegan steak with salad, baked potatoes and vegan sour cream. You will definitely not know the difference and enjoy your vegan meat recipe. It is important to weigh out the gluten before you add as it is important that they are accurate. You can also store the steaks in the fridge and use them the next day. They taste better the next day.